Okay, I know most people have a sweet tooth. Me? I have a salt tooth – savory is totally my thing.
I explain myself like this :
“Eat less sugar … You’re sweet enough already!”
So in order to live a more balanced lifestyle, instead of reaching for chips ( namely : XXTRA Flamin’ Hot Cheetos ), I reach for a delish lil’ tub of hummus – that I made MYSELF!
Whenever I’m at the store, I always find myself wanting to get some … so I decided to just make my own – & I swear it’s BETTER.
Let’s go make some, shall we?
The BEST Hummus
Seriously, the only hummus you need in your life - a versatile, savory snack w/ a skinny recipe.
- 1 can ( 15 oz ) cooked chickpeas ( dried chickpeas can be soaked & simmered to replace canned chickpeas )
- 1 large lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup tahini ( store-bought is easier, but I will do a post on home-made tahini. SO GOOD. )
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 1 dash paprika ( as desired )
Add the tahini & lemon juice into your food processor & process for 1 minute.
Scrape the mixture to the center of the food processor & even it out, then process for another 30 seconds.
Pour in the garlic ( minced ), olive oil, salt, & cumin into the lemon & tahini mixture.
Process for 30 seconds, scrape, & process for 30 seconds again.
Open the can of chickpeas, drain, & rinse.
Add 1/2 of the chickpeas to the processor & process for 1 minute. Scrape, then add the rest of the chickpeas into the mixture.
Process for 1-2 minutes until thick and smooth.
To ensure the creamy texture of the hummus, add 2-3 tbsp of water & process until it is the perfect consistency.
- Upon serving, dash some paprika ( or in my case, A LOT of paprika ), then dig in!
- This recipe makes about 1 & 1/2 cups of hummus. But feel free to make more. ALL. THE. TIME.
- You have a week to finish the hummus as long as you refrigerate it in a sealed container. ( trust me, you’ll finish it wayyy sooner 😉 )
The best thing about hummus ( besides how yum it is ) is its versatility. You can literally eat it with ANYTHING.
Celery + hummus? YES.
Grapes + hummus? HELL YES.
Baguettes + hummus? SO. MUCH. YES.
The possibilities are endless!
GET WEIRD. TRY IT WITH EVERYTHING. You won’t regret.
Okay, this is officially my first recipe post ( yay! ). Pleaseee let me know how it goes & if you love it. Any variations I should experiment with?
Mmmm, now that we’re on the topic of hummus – I might as well go eat some. 😉
Until next time!
// PIN THIS POST 📌 //